Sydney Screen Printing Courses To Whet Your Appetite
in Permaset Blog17 Jun 2016 | 1 Comment
If you find the idea of designing something yourself appealing and would like to learn a new skill that has a practical application, why not try screen printing?
Screen printing is a great way to create your own unique designs. Whether textile printing or creating artwork on paper, the best way to start screen printing is to do a course.
There are many courses in Sydney that will cover the basics, introduce you to various inks, teach you how to cut stencils, and much more. Here are four of them, to help you kick off your journey into the wonderful world of screen printing!
1. Introduction to Fabric Printing – Sydney Community College
In this course you will learn the ins and outs of how to design and make a textile print. You will be given a chance to explore many hand printing and colour application techniques. The instructors will teach you how to create unique designs on fabric using hand-cut stencils and eco friendly water based ink. No experience with design or printing is needed to take this course.
- The course runs from August 3 to September 7, 2016.
- There are a total of six sessions.
- It is held at Rozelle Campus in Sydney.
- The cost of the course is $299 (GST free).
2. Screen Print Sydney – The School
The course is a day-long workshop that will teach you the basics of screen printing under the instruction of Rachel Castle. By the end of the course you will have produced a print on paper. You will receive a squeegee and screen which you are able to take home with you. Afternoon tea and all materials are provided.
- The course runs on October 29, 2016.
- It is held at The School in Rosebery, Sydney.
- The cost of the course is $450.
3. Fabric Printing for Beginners Class – Bobbin and Ink, Petersham
This is a two-colour introduction class to screen printing onto fabrics. If you’re a beginner, need a refresher class or want to hone your craft in from basic stencil printing, this class is for you. Learn to take an artwork, expose it onto a screen using photo-sensitive emulsion and UV light, then print onto a variety of fabric surfaces. Print and take home a complimentary t-shirt, tote bag, tea towel or piece of fabric at the end of the day.
- Cost: $260
- Website: http://www.bobbinandink.com/collections/printingclasses/products/fabricprintingforbeginnersclass
4. Repeat Fabric Printing Intensive – also at Bobbin and Ink, Petersham
Are you a fabric fanatic? Have you ever wandered through a fabric store and thought how great it would be to create your own custom textiles with water based ink?
Turn that ambition into a reality! This 4 week course familiarises you with the entire design and print process, from sketch, to screen, to finished fabric product. It is designed to be open to people with all levels of print knowledge, whether you’ve never printed before or if you’re interested in leveling up your current knowledge.
Move into the realm of multi-colour textile design and focus on learning technical, commercial methods of designing for and producing screen printed fabric – all with eco friendly inks.
- Cost: $650
- Website: http://www.bobbinandink.com/collections/classes
5. Fabric Printing Fun – School Holiday Class for Kids – Maker Space, Marrickville
Print your own bunting or cool wall flags to hang in your room or use at your next party. And take home plenty of test print fabric to make into other projects at home with the help of an adult.
Prepare to get messy & experiment with stamps, stencils & hand painted techniques to create cool patterns on fabric bunting/wall flags. We use only non-toxic, water based inks.
- Ages 5-8, Date/Time – Friday July 8, 10:00am, 2 hours, Tuesday July 12, 10:00am, 2 hours
- Ages 9-13, Date/Time – Monday July 11, 10:00am, 2 hours , Friday July 15, 10:00am, 2 hours
- Price $55
- Class Sizes – Maximum 8 kids
Why not take the plunge and immerse yourself or your kids in something new? Give one of these courses a go, and you might just surprise yourself with how creative you truly are!